Saturday, September 15, 2012

Pretty?

OK, so I just remembered an article my mom read to me a while ago, and thought it would make an awesome blog post. It was called "Death of pretty." If you're thinking, what?, you're like me. I was caught. Basically what it was about was how over the years, pretty has died. Still like what? Think about it. Pretty means: pleasing or attractive to the eye, as by delicacy or gracefulness: a pretty face. When's the last time you thought someone that people said "looked good" was delicate or graceful? But we still definitely think of people as attractive. So what did we replace it with? The answer the writer gave was hot. Hot is not graceful. It's almost the opposite. It's rebellious, and it usually means you're strong, independent and feisty, for lack of a better word. Is that at all delicate or graceful? But this is the part where I disagree with the article. Not all of pretty is gone. Take Taylor Swift. Sure, she's not a perfect, sweet lady, but is she a rebel? I think that we have changed pretty. I think we have made it work for us, even if it's not entirely for the better. What about you?

2 comments: